We all want to live healthier lives. Most of us know the benefits of being eco-friendly. Some may not know that ‘going green’ can and will make you and your family healthier as well. Below we look into many of the ways that all us can make the planet healthier while doing the same for us.
- Walking or biking more: Instead of driving, if you have the option choose to walk or bike to a chosen destination. This ensures that you get in some exercise which contributes to a healthy and natural lifestyle. In the process, you are also doing your part to eliminate dangerous emissions from your car.
- Growing your own garden: Who doesn’t love that taste of fresh produce? You can have it for yourself by growing your own produce. This ensures that you get healthy and natural fruits and vegetables, and gives back to the environment in the process. Find out how to start your own vegetable garden. There are also community gardens.
- Eating organic foods: Not only does organic food taste better as it lacks the usual pesticides, but that also makes it better for the environment. Picking organic fruits and vegetables ensures that no pesticides or additives are used.
- Buying local foods: One of the best things you can do for your health and community is to buy local produce. Produce from far off has been travelling to get to you and that means pollution was generated. Also with local foods you have a better chance that they were grown organically.
- Reducing meat consumption: The amount of energy used to bring meat to the table is rather large, and contributes to pollution and environmental degradation. Additionally, the over-consumption of meat can lead to health problems in humans. Cut back your meat consumption to something more moderate, and you will see a reduction in heart disease, obesity and other health problems.
- Avoiding pre-packaged foods: Not only do pre-packaged foods use materials and energy, but they are often full of excess sodium and sugar and empty calories. Avoiding pre-packaged foods not only helps the environment, but it can also help you improve your health by reducing your intake of things that cause obesity, heart disease and cancer.
- Avoiding bottled water: Bottled water uses resources and energy. Additionally, some chemicals from the plastic bottles can leach into water and cause health problems. Drink more water, but get it filtered from the tap and make use of special rated reusable water bottles.
- Using renewable energy sources (e.g. solar, wind, etc.) reduces carbon dioxide output and provides a cleaner air space for all of us, which reduces the pollution we breathe. It removes pollution that has been linked to lung cancer and the aggravation of asthma and allergies.
- Renewable resources reduce electricity and industrial pollution, which is one of the major causes of acid rain through its byproduct of sulfur oxides which are spewed into the air. This causes our rivers and lakes to become acidic, which not only damages crops and vegetation, but is harmful to the animals who drink it.
- Working from home: If your company will let you, you can reduce pollution by avoiding a commute altogether. Working from home can put you at ease, save you time, and prevent you from being exposed to unhealthy air.
- Cleaning with eco-friendly products: Household cleaners can be one of the worst sources of pollutants in your very own environment. So rather than using the typical household cleaners that have a long list of potentially dangerous ingredients choose healthy and green alternatives. Go for natural options such as vinegar
- Opening your windows when you can: If you’re at home or in the car, open your windows rather than running the air conditioning. This ensures that you get fresh air that keeps you feeling good. It also means that you are doing your part to conserve energy and going green as you do so. Of course, if the windows on your house are old there is a good chance that they don’t stay open or even open at all. If this is the case for you it’s a good idea to call Ideal Construction to install the latest windows which will let some fresh air into your life!
- Letting the sun shine in: Instead of relying wholly on artificial lighting, you can let in the sunlight. Open your shades and let natural lighting help you reduce your energy needs and let the sun’s health benefits help you. Natural lighting helps your calcium absorption, and there have been studies done on the helpfulness of natural sunlight on your mental health and mood
- Enjoying the great outdoors: Being outside, walking, jogging, hiking, biking and seeing plants and small animals can actually help improve your health. Contact with nature can enhance mood, reduce mental fatigue and increase concentration. Don’t forget to pick up litter and keep your corner of the world clean.
- Planting a tree: Trees take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, which is great for us humans.
- Using eco-friendly skin care products: If you want to ensure that you maintain healthy and beautiful skin, buy organic or green products. These are tested appropriately, use natural ingredients, and are far better for your skin and the environment.
Just doing some of these items will benefit your health, your family and the environment. Go Green and breathe a little easier.